Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ye Gods! An Actual Project?





I know! I was surprised too. Actually I guess its because I have been trying to keep my mind off of food but I got a lot of things done today. For one, I had this raggedy old folding laundry bin that had completely fallen apart on me. Now as you can see the former "basket" was made of this cheap plastic-ky material and has been slowly ripping apart since the day I got it. Of course it's from IKEA. I probably bought it in some Scandinavian furniture daze for a few bucks. I was pretty useful up until it fell apart.
I didn't use a pattern or anything, and I was actually using a foot pedal and power cord I bought online to replace my old ones, so I am REALLY surprised that it came out alright. Will this inspire me to sew more things? Don't hold your breath, LOL. 
What I did was buy about 2 yards of sturdy fabric from Joann's (on sale of course) and some matching yarn. Then I cut out a big piece and sewed up one side to make a "tube" and then sewed a square to the bottom. I finished up the rough edge and had the main laundry bag. I couldn't really sew it to the bag, so I made some straps and sewed those on. 

Update: Apparently my mom had the same problem with her IKEA folding laundry basket so I have been commissioned  to make another one. Is this a common problem with these things? Maybe I should just start making them and sell them on etsy.

1 comment:

Lucy Leadskin said...

The new bag looks a million times better than the old one - good job! :)

This post brought to you by the veriword 'entor', god of front entry hallways.