Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lovely stripped wool socks

Strangely enough this is actually the first pair of socks that I have ever knitted. Now it is not the first sock I have knitted; but it is the first time that I made a second sock to match the first. I don't know I just wasn't that into the gusset with my first pair, and because I used ribbing for the cuff when it isn't on your foot it looks quite ridiculous. Like a duck with a thin long neck and a big fat body. I guess it doesn't matter what it looks like when it's not on your foot, but somehow it disturbed my sensibilities.
I don't think that I will use the pattern again. It has a little problem with forming little holes where some of the joining was done. I think that I will stick with the more traditional cuff down, gusset, and kitchener stitch approach next time. Oh, I might even try the double knit approach to make two socks at once! It's been awhile since I tried continental knitting.
At first I wasn't all that thrilled about the yarn. It was a lot scratchier then the stuff I have been working with (merino). They're growing on me though. I think I will probably save these for hiking trips when I need an extra pair of socks to go over my under socks and stuff into my oversized hiking boots.


No comments: