Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My First Ugly Sweater (okay, so technically it is a shell)


I have taken the next step in knitting; making a full size garment. NO longer will I be limited to hats and scarves, now I have the freedom and the experience to move unto more challenging projects.

For my first garment I decided to make this shell from Hot Knits. I am told that sweaters have buttons down the front so I guess this is a shell. I choose a nice bamboo /microfiber blend yarn that was on sale at Joanns. I bought 8 balls just in case I ran out of yarn but I think I will have 1-2 skeins leftover at the rate it is knitting up. It's fairly warm but not overly so. I was looking for something to wear over a regular shirt and this will do nicely as part of an ensemble for spring.

So far I have finished with the back piece and I am about 2/3rd's of the way through the front piece. I have made so many mistakes it's almost laughable but I thought that it was more important to finish the thing than to get every stitch perfect so I decided to power through until the end. It looks fine from a distance but up close some things don't quite match up if you're used to looking at knit pieces. I guess that's a secret we'll keep between us knitters, shhh!

More things are coming on the horizon. I have started making my own patterns and will be testing them out in the up coming months. In other big news, I am starting my own knitting shop! I have all the business paperwork finished with and am currently in the process of finding yarn and needles retailers! 

1 comment:

Lucy Leadskin said...

The sweater will be lovely, And sending you lots of positive happy vibes with the shop! xo!